Progress on ‘Ten-Point Action Plan’ to improve safeguarding
On 16 February 2018, we agreed on a Ten-Point Action Plan to strengthen Oxfam’s safeguarding policies and practices and to transform our organizational culture.
Key progress on the 10-Point Plan includes:
- Country Safeguarding Focal Points in all programme countries, all to be fully trained by March 2019; new expert Safeguarding Advisors and HR staff in many affiliate headquarters, as additions to existing teams.
- Fifteen additional new roles are in place across Oxfam, including: safeguarding advisors, gender advisors, Human Resources, humanitarian support staff and a role developing a rolling programme of safeguarding training for all country-based staff.
- New ‘Safer Recruitment’ guidance and support materials are in use, ensuring that interview questions and job advertisements and descriptions properly reflect Oxfam’s values and safeguarding commitments, along with pre-employment staff screening and a central system for providing references.
- A new Partnership Approach and Assessment Tool to support our partners to improve their own safeguarding policies and practices and help them become safer organizations for their staff and people they serve is being rolled out.
- A new Safe Programming guide to help ensure Oxfam’s humanitarian responses minimize the likelihood of safeguarding incidents happening is being implemented.
- Standard, stronger Oxfam-wide policies and practices: Standard Operating Procedure for Reporting Misconduct including to authorities and donors, confederation wide policies on the Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse, and on Child Protection, among others are complete.
As part of the 10-Point Action Plan, Oxfam established the Independent Commission (IC) on Sexual Misconduct, Accountability and Culture Change in February of 2018 to conduct a confederation-wide review of Oxfam’s culture, accountability and safeguarding policies, procedures and practice.
The IC has released an Interim Report on 16 January 2019. We commit to use the IC report to address weaknesses in our progress to date in order to build more swiftly a culture of safety and equality.
Download the reports of the progress we have made implementing our 10-Point Action Plan.